We recognise the need to have sustainable products and services and to consider the long term impact of every decision the Group makes. We are focused on playing our part in addressing the risk of climate change and the protection of the environment and we are engaging with our stakeholders to ensure they also put sustainability first. Our ESG agenda is supported by a detailed framework based on the United Nations Global Compact and comprehensive policies.
- The Group’s Environmental Policies are approved by the Board and reviewed at least annually.
- Marshalls voluntarily reports publicly on its progress to initiatives such as FTSE4Good and Carbon Disclosure Project.
- Marshalls operates to an established environmental management system (“EMS”) to ensure that all its operations meet or exceed the requirements of legislation and applicable best practice as an integral part of our business strategy.
- Marshalls assesses the environmental aspects, impacts, risks and opportunities of its activities in setting appropriate environmental objectives and targets.
- Marshalls is committed to:
- achieving the highest standards of environmental performance;
- protecting the environment and preventing pollution from our operation; and
- identifying, understanding and minimising our significant environmental impacts.
- The Group is committed to monitoring, measuring and reporting of our environmental performance.
- More information can be found here
Science based targets
- As part of our commitment to setting a Science Based emission reduction Target, Marshalls is working with the Carbon Trust to analyse our business footprint and develop appropriate targets.
- The work is in its final stages and it is hoped that the business target will shortly be submitted to the Science Based Target Initiative (SBTi).
- The Marshalls Code of Conduct sets out the standards that we expect from our employees and all our stakeholders.
- Doing business responsibly provides the foundations for sustainable growth.
- We are committed to meeting the highest health and safety standards – so that everyone can “go home safely.”
- We are committed to supporting the community and charitable causes.
- We are committed to our ongoing apprenticeship programme, with 50 currently active across the Group.
- We are committed to maintaining our Fair Tax Mark accreditation.
- We support the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights and the Ethical Trading Initiative’s Base Code.
- We undertake modern slavery risk mapping for all business operations and the development of remediation processes in supply chains is a key priority.
- We partner with Bright Future to provide a pathway to employment for survivors of modern slavery.
- Supported by our Ethical Trading Initiative Strategic Plan (2018-2020) we aim to embed and integrate ethical trade into all business practice.
- We are a Living Wage employer.
- We have signed the Social Mobility Pledge to show commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce.
The Board recognises that we are accountable to shareholders for good corporate governance and seeks to demonstrate our commitment to high standards of governance that are recognised and understood by all.